The Pull List 6: I bet Indiana Jones can't do this...



The Savage Hawkman
Writer: Tony Daniel
Artist: Philip Tan


Information:
Batman writer Tony Daniel will team up with artist Philip Tan (GREEN LANTERN: AGENT ORANGE, THE OUTSIDERS) for THE SAVAGE HAWKMAN #1. Carter Hall’s skill at deciphering lost languages has led him to a job with an archeologist who specializes in alien ruins – but will the doctor’s latest discovery spread an alien plague through New York City? No matter the personal cost, Carter Hall must don his cowl and wings and become the new, savage Hawkman to survive. The cover to issue #1 is by Philip Tan.


This is one of those cases where the writer/artist thing works out. (I knew I'd remember one sooner or later.) Tony Daniel is one of my favorite artists in comics--his work is super-detailed without crossing an overly realistic line. I didn't read much of his Batman, but what I read was competent and actually rather good.

I think they're putting "too much mustard" on it with the "new, savage Hawkman", and I'm not sure about his new costume, but it's an issue #1, and I'm definitely willing to give it a try.

I've been a Hawkman fan since Geoff Johns worked on the character when I was in high school, around 2004 or so. I'm curious to see what they'll keep from his alien/immortal origins and what they'll discard, as origin-wise he's been rather...complicated since the Crisis tried to merge his Golden and Silver Age versions together.

Still, that said? Philip Tan is a sick artist (Green Lantern: Agent Orange speaks for itself), and Tony Daniel's already proven himself to me.

...A thought occurs. Most of DC gets made-up cities to exist in. How awesome would it be if Hawkman was the ONLY guy operating in New York City?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sage Spoils The Plot: Kamen Rider Decade

The New 52, Corrected: Justice Legion A