Pull List 19: I don't even know who half of you are.



Birds of Prey
Writer: Duane Swierczynski
Artist: Jesus Saiz


The Birds of Prey are Gotham City’s covert ops team, taking down the villains other heroes can’t touch. Mystery novelist ands comics writer Duane Swierczynski teams up with Jesus Saiz for BIRDS OF PREY #1, the first issue of the hard-hitting new series.


I'm so iffy on this title, it's hard to explain. To begin with, I'm not all that certain on Duane as a writer. His Cable kinda pissed me off in that it *never* once became a bright story. Can't deal with that over at DC, so hopefully he's bringing a different game here.

And then, to follow. Who ARE these girls? I recognize Black Canary, but it's not promised that the girl with the plants is Poison Ivy (could easily be Thorn), the girl with the Katana could be...someone else...and who's the chick with the rose tattoo??? This isn't even the Birds of Prey line-up.

Lastly, I'm not sure this book should exist anymore. What made Birds of Prey special, even back when Chuck Dixon was writing the book, was that it was Barbara Gordon's way of being a superhero even though her body couldn't support it. She took on an advisory role, becoming one of the smartest people in the DCU (and it's best hacker) and the information source for every hero in it. And the Birds of Prey? They were Oracle's personal team. Oracle's Angels, to be honest. A team of kick-ass female heroes taking on assignments that Barbara trusted only them with.

But with Barbara having dawned the cape and cowl again, I'm not sure they SERVE a purpose. Particularly doing covert missions like this.

That's a long list of reasons why I shouldn't be reading this. But it's not actively turning me away (yet), so I'm going to give it the chance to sell me on it. Four months, same as the other.

Comments

  1. I would guess that "the girl with the plants" that look like ivy is Poison Ivy, "the girl with the katana" is Katana, and "the chick with the rose tattoo" is Rose Tattoo from Wildstorm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My initial argument that this isn't the BoP line-up stands. Also...Rose Tattoo? That was her name for real?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sage Spoils The Plot: Kamen Rider Decade

The New 52, Corrected: Justice Legion A