Music Video(es) of the Day: Michael Jackson Edition

Initially, I'd planned to give you guys another dose of Do As Infinity, but then, I heard some news that made me put the breaks on that.




Michael Jackson, one of the greatest music stars of all time, has passed. And I know the bar ain't that high here anymore, but, for once, I'm gonna put the jokes away. We're not going to talk about whatever "problems" the man had. We're not going to act like they didn't exist--its just...for once we're going to put that away and remember the best of The King of Pop.

Three videos this time.



Billie Jean was always one of my favorite MJ songs. Like Jamie Foxx said--it was very pop, but at the same time it was one of the most "street" songs ever released, when you listened to the lyrics. (He was doing the "that's NOT my baby's momma" shit WAY before these so called "hood niggas" with this shit.)

Next up...



Thriller is one of the greatest songs, and greatest videos of all time. Hands down. I remember the first time I saw the video--I was 12 at the time, and BET was doing the 100 Greatest Music Videos of All Time. If I remember right, this was #1. If you watched it, you can see why. He really pushed the limits of what people thought music videos were for, because most of his were amazing--Thriller plays out like both a movie *and* a music video all at once, and does both better than most that are only trying to do one or the other. (He was also ahead of his time with the dance moves, because people are STILL doing that zombie dance from this movie, or derivatives of it.)




Remember the Time is so amazing, I STILL remember the tune and the lyrics and I haven't heard it in ages. And, once again, Mike does a fantastic job with the video. He even got Eddie freaking Murphy (who was crazy hot at the time--this was like, the early 90's back when Eddie was a big movie star) to be in his video--that's how big he was. He was also always willing to step it up another notch and try something new, working on this song with singer/producer Teddy Riley (another legend).

And, because I'm a big Chris Tucker fan as well...a bonus video. Check it:



You Rock My World. Mike had a brief revival in the early 2000s with this song, which got huge in part because whenever an R&B singer first comes back, its always a big deal, but also because Chris Tucker had just come out of our generation's "Lethal Weapon" alongside Jackie Chan with "Rush Hour", and he guest-stars in the video. Again, ahead of his time with the dance moves, and the video was top-notch. Gotta love it.


There's a crapload of other MJ videos that deserve to be watched--these are just my personal favorites. Hope you like.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sage Spoils The Plot: Kamen Rider Decade

The New 52, Corrected: Justice Legion A