Mister Terrific 1 Thoughts



Writer: Eric Wallace
Artist: Gianluca Gugliotta

I didn't actually have much in the way of high hopes for this project. Rather than follow characters, I follow creators--I didn't know much about the artist, and the writer...what I know of Eric Wallace is that he wrote Titans, which was kinda terrible.

But I like Mr. Terrific. The idea of the "third smartest man in the world" deciding to use his genius to fight crime interests me, so I gave this book a try.

And it's not bad. The art could use a bit of work (beautiful backgrounds, but the artist needs work drawing people), but the story itself is solid. It's straightforward, but it does a great job of setting up Michael Holt as a brilliant super-scientist that just so happens to smash in bad guys' faces in his spare time. I read several interviews that said we'd see this series go cosmic real fast, and it delivers--Mister Miracle has a slick base of operations in the ninth dimension and his villain so far is a malevolent ethereal being capable of boosting average intelligence to genius-plus in a matter of hours. Said villain (who's nameless at the moment) gives the series an amazing cliffhanger and any number of things could happen after issue 1.

It's also nice seeing another major character who gave up her ongoing because of the relaunch, Power Girl, make an appearance. Appearing only as Karen Starr (her alter-ego), it remains to be seen what her role in the book will be as the story progresses, but I'll be looking forward to what comes out of it.

Overall, while not the BEST book I've seen, it's definitely a good one to come out of the relaunch, so I guess I'll be following for the next arc or so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sage Spoils The Plot: Kamen Rider Decade

The New 52, Corrected: Justice Legion A