Batman 1 Thoughts


Writer: Scott Snyder
Artist: Greg Capullo

Interesting. That's the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of this first issue. I know the basic premise of the first arc to Batman: Scott Snyder wants to tell us what Gotham is REALLY like. Batman thinks he knows the city, but does he really? What happens when he finds out truths about Gotham that the city had kept hidden from him until now?

That's the basic idea. Knowing that going in made things a bit different for me. The art seemed to make the city as important a character as all the humans in it. Greg Capullo makes Gotham come alive in this opening issue. You really get a feel for how big and mysterious Gotham truly is, and that's vital for the story Scott is trying to tell.

Overall, for the first "Batman #1" since the 1930's, this is a great way to start. We're introduced to the entire cast, given one HECK of a cliffhanger, and an intriguing new villain with so-far unknown goals.

I'd love to know more, but I'm happy with what I got so far, and I'm very interested in what comes next. To me that makes for a good comic.

Comments

  1. Fully agree with your impressions. I love seeing Gotham as a character, I'm excited to see this new villain, and I like the idea of Bruce Wayne's attempts at revamping the city maybe stepping on the toes of enemies he'll have to deal with as Batman. As a new reader, it's also nice to see Batman a little more positive. The stuff I've picked up here or there over the years seems to lean toward making him a jerk/loner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the truth is, more often than not he has been a loner/jerk, starting from about the late 80's and right up until recently. The current writing teams have been trying to change that though, and I'm hoping that you and I aren't the only ones that are looking forward to that change so it'll stick around.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sage Spoils The Plot: Kamen Rider Decade

The New 52, Corrected: Justice Legion A