Because everyone wants to pilot a giant robot...




I felt 11 again when I watched this trailer.  Back when J-RPGs reigned on consoles as king, and each one was an enjoyable experience that was fairly distinct from the next, and I spent hours sitting in front of my tiny Sanyo television playing the original Suikoden and Tales of Destiny. Monolith Soft rekindled that feeling which died for me some time after buying a PS2, and if for no other reason than that, I thank them.

One of the things that I've found most interesting about the WiiU is the fact that it is an HD console, and so many of the tricks that Sony and Microsoft have had access to over the past seven years are now available to Nintendo as well.  And developers that might have been pushed away by either the high cost of HD gaming or the difficult of programming for certain systems now have a brand-new console that's not exactly pushing the boundaries of technology but is still capable of creating gorgeous experiences like the one you see above in "X".

What this means is that for the next four years (maybe five), we'll see what smaller developers can do with access to PS3/360-level tools that are, presumably much cheaper now that something bigger and better is on the market.   All the complaints about how HD gaming is only possible with publishers that have deep pockets should be gone, so its time for devs to put up or shut up.

That's the reason why I've stopped hassling Nintendo and the Wii, because they've created a new lane for publishers and developers alike, and I'm curious to see what will come of it.   Between games like this, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario World 3D, and Super Smash Bros., I'm almost guaranteed to buy a Wii U in the next year...

Once they get over their typically stubborn nature and cuts the price of the system to something reasonable, that is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sage Spoils The Plot: Kamen Rider Decade

The New 52, Corrected: Justice Legion A