Sage's Calendar of Awesome: September

Jeez. This month is busy. Fortunately I’ll have been in school long enough to have a decent pattern set in, ‘cause otherwise I know I wouldn’t get ANY work done.

September (hopefully 1st) – Young Justice S1



This series got about nine episodes out before it hit a wall and stopped airing new episodes. My friends have been asking about it since then, but all I could tell them was I had no clue when there would be any new episodes. Everyone’s best guess now is that Young Justice will appear back on Cartoon Network’s Friday schedule sometime in September, though. (Mind you, this isn't confirmed by anyone--we're all just guessing.) Better yet, with all the episodes completed and Season 2 already greenlit, in production and confirmed to appear on the new DC Nation block in March 2012, there shouldn’t be too many more breaks after the series comes back on the air.

That’s good to hear too, because YJ’s long-form storytelling REALLY needs to start paying off in some manner, since the writing crew took the “teenagers are dicks” route when writing this series.

September 2nd - mc chris – Race Wars

I haven’t hardcore listened a new mc chris album in years (since dungeon master of ceremonies), but I’m still a big fan of the guy’s music. I’m not sure why the album is entitled Race Wars, but knowing mc chris it’s probably humans vs. zombies or something equally insane.

September 4th – Kamen Rider Fourze



That’s a stupid title, and this is the poorest-designed Kamen Rider yet, but I’m hugely excited for this series. With a Rider that doesn’t look like a puss again (where’s Hidari Shoutarou when you need him…), and Koichi Sakamoto behind the direction for this series, I have hope this could be pretty good.

From what I’ve read, Fourze is set in a high-school, a setting Kamen Rider has never tried before for its main character, but one I’ve wanted to see ever since Kamen Rider Decade had its’ Faiz tribute episodes. By the way, a bit of extra info for anime fans: the creator of Tengen Toppa Guren Lagann will be the head writer for this series. That doesn’t inspire me with that much hope, but the story concept and the characters have me excited enough.

September 6th – Heroes of Might and Magic VI



When I first saw the trailer for this, I couldn’t believe how beautifully rendered the in-game scenes were. I don’t like PC games normally, but I’m hyped to play this particular one. I love fantasy games (when it’s not dark fantasy), and I’m a sucker for tactical RPGs. I have no idea what the HM&M universe is like, but I’m eager to find out.

September 7th – DCU relaunch



I talked about this in the August entry. The DC Universe is relaunching every comic book they have come September, and I’m looking forward to over half their line. (I’ll wrap up the last of that in the next week or so.) I’m going to try and get at least 20 of those comics, and hopefully get some of my friends into comics in the process.

Childish Gambino LP


All I know about this is that Donald Glover’s been working on it since before the EP came out, and has more than a couple tracks together already. I’ve seen several places claim this as the month in which the album drops, and I’m sure it’ll be a banger, so long as CG doesn’t let any guests hop on tracks. (Unless it’s Adele; Do Ya Like is one of the sickest tracks I’ve heard in years.)

Doctor Who Series 6 Part 2


Are you still a geek if you didn’t see last season of this? You can’t be. Doctor Who under its’ new show runner, Stephen Moffat, gets better every episode. Employing long-form storytelling without most viewers even realizing it, Moffat has been telling one long story almost ever since he started writing Dr. Who (even during RTD’s time as show runner), weaving in tons of new concepts, different characters, and a new interpretation of the Doctor.

A Good Man Goes to War was probably one of the best things to come on television this year, and from the title of the next episode (Let’s Kill Hitler), it doesn’t look like Moffat’s going to allow our attentions to waver even slightly upon the comeback. And that’s great, because other than Eureka and Torchwood, this is probably the only good science fiction on television right now.

September 20th – Generation Force: Special Edition



More card stuff. Feel free to skip if you don’t play. This is the next set of Yu-Gi-Oh—the first one to come out since Extreme Victory was released earlier this summer. Actually, it’s the special edition, which is released as a box with three booster packs and a reprint of some Super Rare card. Having checked this set out, there really isn’t much to it that I want other than a card or too, so I’ll be waiting on this release (a month after Generation Force actually comes out) before I actually buy anything from it.

Even then, it’s possible I’ll save my money and only buy the cards I need from the set and get the super rare promos online if they’re useful. Spending $60 on a set that’s full of cards I don’t really want to play doesn’t appeal to me.

September 22nd – Community Season 3

I’ve gotten ALL of my friends into this series (excepting the one that got ME into it), and rightfully so. Community is probably one of the smartly written series on television. With a series creator who visits TV Tropes religiously just to see what else he can subvert, avert, or invoke in a hilarious manner, and a team of writers that treat every episode like a pilot rather than sticking to a formula, Community deserves every the fans it can get.

After the sick (and slightly shocking) finale from Season 2, I’m definitely curious to see just where the characters are going next in their third year at Greendale High…I mean Community College.

That's a wrap for September. I'm working on October tomorrow, but I probably won't do November and December until either after SDCC (if I learn about enough stuff), or after Comiket and the Tokyo Game Show. I'd bet on the latter, though, since I want to get more than just Western releases on the list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sage Spoils The Plot: Kamen Rider Decade

The New 52, Corrected: Justice Legion A