Sage's Calendar of Awesome: July

So it's the middle of July, and we're smack in the middle of summer. It's hot as crap outside, and being a gamer, I'm allergic to the sun. This is good for my faithful readers (I assume I have them...my visitor counter keeps ticking up, and it's not just me), because it means I get to bring you the awesome.

Much like the calendar I did a couple years ago, I'm going to let everyone have a look at some of the awesome ish coming down the pipe over the next couple of months. I've compiled an immense list of shit covering the entire spectra of interests I have, from Video Games and Anime to television series and card games. (Yes, card games. Suck it up.)

Because the list IS so massive, I'll be splitting things up by the month, with a new post every day this weekend so I can get them all done before SDCC comes and punishes me with a billion things to talk about. All that said, let's get started with July, okay?

Sage's Calendar of Awesome


July 7th - Detective Conan: ~ Kudo Shinichi e no Chousenjou ~


I loved watching Case Closed (or Detective Conan) for the brief four or five months Adult Swim aired it. Still, the fact that the cases were being solved by a child and the lengths they went through to make that even slightly believable brought a formulaic approach to the series that brought enjoyment of it way down.

Fortunately, the J-Drama specials (and this series) are prequels that deal with Shinichi Kudo's time as an adult. If there's one thing Great Teacher Onizuka taught me, it's that the longer runtimes and shorter episode counts can often make an anime concept much stronger.

I've yet to find hardsubs of this series, so I'll probably end up encoding the softsubs myself. Yaaay.


July 8th - Torchwood: Miracle Day

Oh man, who DIDN'T love Children of Earth? I'll admit, I'm not the biggest RTD fan, but I love John Barrowman/Captain Jack and the Torchwood crew. (Basically meaning I like Gwen since Torchwood life expectancy is...non-existent.) Even though the series has migrated across shores to America and was taken in by STARZ, it still looks great and I'm super excited. Check the trailer below:




July 8th - Yuusha Yoshihiko to Maou no Shiro

Supposedly this J-Drama is going to reflect old-school RPG gaming. The basic concept is described as the following:

The story is set in an ancient time, when the whole country was covered in thick forests. A mysterious plague breaks out, resulting in countless deaths. A pure young man named Yoshihiko becomes chosen as a hero, and he sets out on a journey in order to save a village. He has two goals – to bring back the legendary plant that can cure the plague, and to rescue his father Teruhiko who left to find the plant but never returned.



It's rare to see an action series come out of Japan that doesn't involve Super Sentai/Kamen Rider, so I want to check this out. Hopefully it'll be as interesting as it sounds.

July 19th - Kirby Krackle - Super Powered Love



Soooo hyped for this album. Ring Capacity, On and On, and Take It From Me are some of my favorite songs ever. And with the new single, Super-Powered Love (yes same title as the album), I have yet another one of their tracks added to that list. The album drops 7/19, and unlike most, I'll actually be paying for this one.

July 24th - Entourage Season 8

In case you haven't seen it:




One of my favorite television series of all time comes to an end this fall. I'm pretty sad the last season's only eight episodes, but I guess they're bringing things full circle in terms of season length.

From the trailer things look just as fun as usual, and I'm excited to hop back into this universe for the last time.

July 26th - Hidden Arsenal: Special Edition



I got back into Yu-Gi-Oh a while ago after I met a group of people that still play. I used to be a big fan of the anime, but without partners there was little point to buying cards.

That's changed, but I've got seven years of cards to catch up on. So, reprints help. This particular reprint set will hopefully give me access to a crapload of synchro cards that cost far too much to buy singularly.

For those who are into the game, a quick reminder of the cards we'll be seeing again in the Special Edition, which covers HA 1-3: Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier, Ally of Justice - Catastor, Mist Wurm, Naturia Beast, Gungnir Dragon of the Ice Barrier, and Naturia Barkion. All staple cards for any deck capable of running them. Also, for anyone looking for specific archetypes, there are Naturias, Dragunities, Mist Valley, Fableds, X-Sabers, Jurracs, and (my favorite) Ice Barriers.

Yeah I realize it's goofy to spend this much on cards...simultaneously, I don't care. This game's all kinds of fun.

July 29th - Thundercats



The trailer for this series was awesome. I was never a big fan of Thundercats as a kid (I'm a Transformers boy...but I've given up on that until the Bayformers look finally goes away), but with this re-imagining, it looks like something special is being created. The animation looks great (by Japanese animating company Studio 4°C), and the story sounds like a new epic fantasy done with the Thundercats characters. There's nothing to dislike about any of that.

Now, if I'm not mistaken that's that for month one. If all goes well you should see August a little later this evening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sage Spoils The Plot: Kamen Rider Decade

The New 52, Corrected: Justice Legion A