Internet and Happiness

I decided yesterday that I'm done with the internet.

Not in the sense that one might think--in fact, I'll probably be online as much as ever, just in different ways. I can't keep this site going without being on the internet, but what's changing is that I'm swearing off internet forums, or any form of comment section that's not this site.

This website was started some time ago when I had basically left any forum I'd ever visited, and didn't have any plans to go to others. I worked out my frustrations at them without consciously admitting that I just couldn't go to them anymore with a number of different, badly written bitch fits that was one of the few times this place ever felt like a regular blog.

But as I look back over the last...year or so, the simple fact is that forums have usually brought more problems than happiness. I can't get one post in without someone whining, and eventually it messes with your excitement to see someone post "Hope it's not garbage like the last show/comic was!" about something that isn't even out yet.

And I can't do it anymore. Or rather, I choose not to. This new DC project is an example--I haven't been this hyped about comics in years, but all the forums just piss all over it. And all you get when you complain about the negativity are jerk-offs that think they're funny by complaining about people who complain about the negativity.

I just, fail to see the point, any longer. It's NOT discussion. The majority of people are not being rational, and we are not getting informed opinions--we're getting inflamed ones. And it's impossible to reason with people who cannot accept that at the end of the day, an entertainment business has NO desire to screw it's fans. (If they did, they wouldn't make money.)

Comic fans online do not seem to care about good storytelling, or good artwork with that storytelling. They care about numbers. They care about fifty years worth of backstory--most of which they weren't around for OR never even read; logic that puzzles anyone rational, from fans to creators.

And don't tell me it's actually the majority of comic fans--that's a lie. I'm not buying it anymore. The protest of the DC relaunch got all of five hundred fans on Facebook who agreed to show up at the SDCC. And about twenty showed up in person. At best I'd multiply the number of people who hate this by ten. At BEST. And 5,000 fans on a comic book gets it canceled, even in comics' state right now.

It's not just comics, either. Television, anime, cartoons, whatever--the nature of an internet forum involves letting fans whine to their hearts' content. A mission statement that is completely OPPOSITE of JiH's. This place exists to bring you great works. Great comics, great cartoons, great television series, great anime--whatever. If something sucks? I simply don't talk about it, because there's no purpose.

And at places where all people do is talk about what they think sucks, *I* have no purpose. Other than to have my own excitment and happiness trampled on. So I'm taking a proactive stance to cut that off, here and now.

Any forum that can't offer some form of news that I cannot get online elsewhere, is now dead to me. And even those only matter for what I can learn from them. for the next 90 days. Let's see how different I feel come day 90.

Later folks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sage Spoils The Plot: Kamen Rider Decade

The New 52, Corrected: Justice Legion A