Bottom of the Pile - Sept. 2nd, 2014

To answer my question, "Can I catch up?"  It appears the answer is "...Kinda?"


All-New X-Factor

Danger's grown tired of all the kissing in the X-books and has decided to take things to the next level.  Methinks Warlock would've rather just stuck with the kissing, at least for another issue or two.  (Also, I'm going to throw something if at any point two robots for some reason end up having human intercourse.)




 Avengers World

 ....I can't even say his heart was in the right place.   Though I suppose I can say that at least he'll eventually do some good....presuming he doesn't get offed. 

Batman Eternal

This week presents a more human Batman, and brings another woman into the Bat-Family at the same time.  I have to admit--I like her more than Harper, and she actually "fits" the group pretty well on top of that.  Here's hoping Julia Pennyworth becomes more than just "the new Alfred".

 Death of Wolverine
 Death of Wolverine at least starts off answering some questions I'd had about Wolverine's lost healing factor.  Like, to start: how the fuck are you moving with a skeleton of metal.   Granted, no one's explained to me yet how the dude hasn't contracted the worst case of metal poisoning ever. 

Justice League
 I told you--a week of humanity for Batman, where his job description has extended to slightly more than "scare the piss out of frequently mentioned superstitious and cowardly lot".   This also stands as proof, both that Geoff Johns DOESN'T hate Batman, and that Bats can be a decent guy around someone with Green Lantern-esque powers...y'know, when they're not being an arrogant ass.

Legendary Star Lord

Kitty Pryde shows up in this month's Star Lord to sneak in a quick Guardians of the Galaxy film reference.   Why the banana outfit (and where she got it), I'll never know.  

Original Sin

Four months and a brief media exposure of the new character later, and we still don't know the cause of this.  Should've just had Thor turn INTO a woman for a year or so.   They're gods, they should be used to going between genders--Loki does it all the time.  

She-Hulk
The neat thing about She-Hulk (and Red Lantern, and Superman/Wonder Woman, and Inhuman, and like eighty other books) writer Charles Soule is just how much attention he pays to continuity.  More often than not, writers like to pretend their comic books exist in a vacuum, which creates strange situations in which certain events never line up properly.   Soule doesn't seem to have that problem.  And his continuity nods are not so much as to be overwhelming--this is just a one-panel explanation of how there's still a clone of Jamie Madrox out there doing random things.   It works, and it's perfectly logical on top of that. 

Spider-Man 2099

 In light of America's recent issues with terrorist group collection of fuckboys ISIS, I can't decide if this is topical or tacky.  I'm going with the former, mostly because I like the writer, Peter David, and also because there's no way he could've known about this when this script was written probably three or four months ago. 

New 52 - Futures End
You know your future is whacked when John Constantine is the one who's trying to save everything and friggin' Supes doesn't give a fuck.   Problematic.  (Although, according to Superman's Futures End books, this probably isn't a permanent state for the guy.)


Author's Note: Bottom of the Pile is a weekly column (or at least, my attempt at said) in which I cover the comics that found their way to the bottom of my pile, thus being the best as I've always been a proponent of "saving the best for last".   Since bog standard reviews can be found literally anywhere, coverage can range from mini-reviews to funny comments to commentary on a creator's run or comics as a whole, depending on a wide range of factors including the comic itself, the amount of time I have, and my general mood.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sage Spoils The Plot: Kamen Rider Decade

The New 52, Corrected: Justice Legion A