Bottom of the Pile - August 27th, 2014

A day late.  Can I finally catch up this weekend?  We'll see.


All-New X-Men
Can I just say that I love whichever Cuckoo this is?   Because I do know who Nate Grey is, and that reference is hilarious.   It's also simultaneously sad and funny that as one of the Cuckoos, she's been around long enough to reference mutants nobody else has ever heard of.   Sad because she's not that much older than these "new mutants", and hilarious because I guess that's what happens if you stick around too long--you become the mutant equivalent of a comic book geek. 




Avengers

Actually Cap, with one notable exception they all tried to kill a world but failed miserably.  At this point--besides that exception--they've all given up and are basically willing to accept their failure.  But y'know, go ahead and try to jail them anyway...I guess.

Batman Eternal

This badass boast would be exponentially more impressive if you didn't just know Alfred was gonna get knocked out.  I mean, let's face it: The book isn't called Badass British Sniper Butler, though I'd read the fuck out of it if it were.

Cyclops

Well, at least that's what he's going to tell you, Scott.  I mean it wouldn't do for a father to tell his sixteen year old son that he lived on an all-meat diet.   How would that help you learn about proper nutrition?

Ms. Marvel
Don't feel bad Kamala.  This is the plan of literally tons of heroes--almost all of whom have been at this for much, much longer than you.   In fact, there's literally NO such thing as a hero who hasn't at least had "Run!" as part of their plan.   So good work!  You're already figuring out the higher-level stuff!


New 52: Futures End
What is it with Clark and becoming a farmer in crappy futures?  Is that like, his failure state?   "Man I sucked at being Superman, guess I better go plant some crops." 


Original Sin: Thor and Loki
The lady Loki is apparently very much against child murder.  Well, it's good to know she has some morals somewhere.  

Also, at no point in this book do we learn why Thor can't lift his fucking hammer anymore and loses his powers.  Someone at Marvel really should have thought this through. 

Secret Origin
I chose this one for two reasons: first, the idiot in the bottom panel who thought it might be a good idea to tell AQUAMAN a fish joke.   Second, because Mera's normally an incredibly serious character and seeing her comically book it from her date like that was too funny not to share with the world.


Superman

That's, probably going to need discussing later.  But before you get on your high horse Supes, let's just remember that you're probably the strongest superhuman on Earth and you could cause FAR too much destruction if you were ever controlled by someone else. 

Transformers: More than Meets the Eye
A minor Doctor Who reference in More than Meets the Eye (which is still for my money the best comic book on the stands every month), as Nautica brandishes a "sonic" wrench.  If they're going to keep doing things like this I won't be able to stop myself from making her my favorite character.

Sidenote: The Decepticon Justice Division make an "appearance" in this, so this issue is not for those squeamish about brutal mutilation of cybertronians.  

Wolverine and the X-Men


Oh, man.  This is the most "X-Men" panel ever.  Storm dressed in some ridiculous, fantastical outfit as the team is asked for help in an outlandish location no one's ever heard of to save people they've never even met.  All that's missing is a fastball special and Nightcrawler hitting on some ladies.  I didn't much care for Wolverine and the X-Men before (fuck Schism), but this new volume is definitely growing on me. 


Author's Note: Bottom of the Pile is a weekly column (or at least, my attempt at said) in which I cover the comics that found their way to the bottom of my pile, thus being the best as I've always been a proponent of "saving the best for last".   Since bog standard reviews can be found literally anywhere, coverage can range from mini-reviews to funny comments to commentary on a creator's run or comics as a whole, depending on a wide range of factors including the comic itself, the amount of time I have, and my general mood.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sage Spoils The Plot: Kamen Rider Decade

The New 52, Corrected: Justice Legion A