Project Otaku Power-Levelling: Prologue

Y'know, normally I don't ascribe the term "otaku" to myself. Western anime fans have kinda made it their own version of the word "nigga". After all, in Japan, the term is a perjorative few care to be described with, but Western fans have taken on the term as one of endearment to describe each other.

But with my current project...there's just no other way to explain what I'm doing aside from power-leveling in the game of Otaku.



See, the week of finals, for reasons that can only be called "stress-induced insanity", I decided that I would attempt to finish fifty anime over the course of the summer.

Of course, a goal like this is rather lofty--even impractical if one has other things they feel like getting done. Like, video games, reading comics books or going outside...

So my list had to be carefully planned, if I wanted to finish *and* get other stuff done during my first summer away from college. Basically this means I stuffed about half my list with 1 and 2-3 episode OVAs, while another third happen to be 12 episode half-season anime.

So as not to lack on history, I decided to go back and watch some 80's and 90's series--ten of each decade at the very least. (Those made up the majority of the OVAs, since many of the best series back then WERE OVAs.)

From the time I started the marathon last week to school's start, I had just over 100 days. With 50 anime to finish, that means I have to finish an anime every two days, and as I make my way through, I'll be posting brief paragraphs discussing what I thought of each one.

Now if I can finish these, I'll just have to watch...420 more series to clear the Plan to Watch section of MyAnimeList. ...Yay.

Edit:

My list, for those who cannot wait to find out. This is not the order I'm watching it in, just the order in which I picked them.

1.) Macross Plus
2.) Chrome Shelled Regios
3.) Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS
4.) Kiddy Girl-and
5.) Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam I - Heir to the Stars
6.) Pretear
7.) Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam II - Lovers
8.) Mai-Otome
9.) Genshiken
10.) Genshiken 2
11.) Gunsmith Cats
12.) Eien no Aseria
13.) Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito
14.) Melty Lancer
15.) Sora no Kakeru wo Shoujo
16.) Juusenshi Gulkeeva
17.) Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam III - Love is the Pulse of the Stars
18.) Mai-Otome Zwei
19.) Mai-Otome 0~S.ifr~
20.) Coyote Ragtime Show
21.) Sakura Wars OVA
22.) Variable Geo
23.) UFO Princess Valkyrie
24.) Mobile Suit Gundam F91
25.) Break Blade
26.) Aoi Umi no Tristia
27.) Gestalt
28.) Ryuseiki Gakusaver
29.) Ruin Explorer
30.) Iczer-One
31.) Compiler
32.) After War Gundam X
33.) Code-E
34.) City Hunter: .357 Magnum
35.) Dirty Pair
36.) Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
37.) Lupin III vs. Detective Conan
38.) Mobile Police Patlabor (OVA)
39.) Gakuen Tokusou Hikaruon
40.) Gunbuster
41.) You're Under Arrest! OVA
42.) Del Power X Bakuhatsu Miracle Genki!
43.) Meitantei Holmes
44.) Dangaioh
45.) Dirty Pair: Affair of Nolandia
46.) Debutante Detective Corps
47.) Maburaho
48.) BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad
49.) Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu
50.) Yozakura Quartet

Whew!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sage Spoils The Plot: Kamen Rider Decade

The New 52, Corrected: Justice Legion A