The Five Colored Warriors Return!

According to Variety, Power Rangers has returned to its original owner, Saban. This is interesting for a couple of reasons, but first...


If I haven't made it clear by now, I'm a *huge* fan of Super Sentai, essentially the original, Japanese series from which Power Rangers is adapted. I could write out a list a mile long as to WHY I enjoy Sentai, or I could show you this, the roll call for 2007's Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger, versus 2008's Power Rangers: Jungle Fury.



Sentai:
- Poses look like actual martial arts stances (they aren't, but still)
- Beautiful music playing in the background, almost orchestral
- Descriptive phrases during their poses explaining the difference in each character's martial arts philosophy that is almost poetic.

Power Rangers:
- Random poses that look like...every other pose you've ever seen in Power Rangers.
- Generic rock music in the back ground.
- Phrases that say...fuck-all about who each character is.

Feel free to rag on me for liking Sentai. But I'll punch you in the face if you say they're exactly the same.

Anyways, I'm mentioning this because, as said before, I kinda LIKED the Saban era of Power Rangers as a kid. But I'm neutral about the news as a whole. There are a lot of fans of Power Rangers, and I am certain most of them are excited about this.

I'm more interested in seeing whether or not Saban has an interest in releasing the Sentai versions in America, starting from the pre-Power Rangers series (yes, Super Sentai is *far* older, for the uninitiated). I'd even pay slightly inflated prices for many of the early ones. (JAKQ, the 1984-1986 series, 1988's Turboranger...)

Probably, this is a pipe dream. The people who would buy Sentai sets would not number anymore than a few thousand, most likely not enough to be worth it to Saban, given Power Rangers pulled in 5 billion dollars. Oh well.

This is ALSO notable because, apparently NICK is ordering the episodes. Between this and Dragon Ball Kai, methinks other children's networks may need to start paying attention.

Personal opinion: Find writers that care to create new, connected seasons. It kills the Sentai comparisons that plagued the Disney years. May also net more fans, as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sage Spoils The Plot: Kamen Rider Decade

The New 52, Corrected: Justice Legion A