Definitely Lady Thor


This is everywhere by now, and since I know everyone who sees this and knows me is going to ask me what I think, this is going to be my response:

Her costume looks neat.  That is all.

Okay, not really.  But what do you want from me?  I don't know anything about her character yet.  She could be all angry and abrasive and work my last nerve.  She could be heroic, powerful, and courageous and I'll fall in love.  She could be a Mary Sue and I might very well shoot myself in the head.   I don't know yet.

What I will say is this: There are some people who are going to be upset.  Not ALL of them are sexist.  The ones who are will make themselves plain, really really fast.   But there are other factors being ignored at the moment.   But first, let's get into Jason Aaron's actual story decision.

This is all conjecture based on what I've read, but: It seems like, that as a result of Thor's own actions in either God of Thunder or Avengers, he fucks himself out of the right to wield his hammer.   The All-Mother decides that no matter what's happened with her son, someone must wield Mjolnir.   And the next person who's Worthy, just so happens to be a woman.  It's the equivalent to why John Stewart initially became Hal Jordan's back-up.   An editor pointed out that of all the people in the world, the Ring picked a white guy as the bravest person without fear twice?  And just like that the third GL was black.   So, let's make this crystal clear: That's a good thought process.    Diversity and inclusion can't be anything other than good things, and I'm not mad about Lady Thor at all.  More women are needed both inside and outside of superhero comics.

But.

I can't help thinking the Thor universe wasn't the best choice for this.  Let's think about it: Odin's been dead for a while now, and the person in charge of Asgard are a triumvirate of women that includes Freyja, the All Mother.   Loki just recently became a female and according to the writer of his current series, will be going back and forth between ale and female.   Thor's next most important villain is Enchantress.   You just introduced Thor's sister, the angel Angela.   And the most well-known member of Asgard who isn't Thor, Loki, or Odin?  The Lady Sif.   And that's before we get to Agent Roz on SHIELD or Jane Foster.   I don't care who you are, you cannot tell me the Thor books were lacking on women.

Am I saying this decision shouldn't have happened?  On the contrary--I just think it should've happened to someone ELSE.   Why not a female Captain America?    Hell, all Tony Stark does is fuck up--there's an entire Avengers story that's been told over the past year or so all about it.  Can we get a female Stark from the future or an alternate timeline to wear the armor for a couple years?   Rather than say it's a poor decision on Marvel's part, instead I think you took an area that was already estrogen-filled and gave it another shot, when it could've gone elsewhere.

But that doesn't mean I'm going to stop reading.  Like I said: more women in Marvel is a GOOD thing.  Y'know, as long as they aren't annoying and/or constantly being made an idiot of.

Now, two last things to cover here:

1.) Jason Aaron said:

This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before.

Uhhh, no.   This is definitely Lady Thor.  (And I don't see anything wrong with that title, honestly.  She's a woman.  She's Thor.)  The hammer says: "Whosoever holds this hammer, if they 
be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."   The power of Thor.  Not his name.   So we're going to have what, Thor and Thor?   Are we flipping this on it's head and referring to the original as Dude Thor?   (I'd be cool with that.)    I'm not saying give her some kind of demeaning feminine title, but, c'mon.   Saying things like this are only going to cause trouble because...

2.) This isn't permanent.   The character's female, so Marvel's going to give her a bigger push than they would a male character.  Given Beta Ray Bill's existence, hammers like Mjolnir seem to just be lying about in the Asgardia armory, so when Thor's somehow "worthy" again, they'll give her one of those and then she'll take on some new name, and be given a mini-series or an ongoing, depending on her popularity.    But if you say things like, "No really, she's THOR!", you just make more trouble for yourself down the line.  Don't do that.  

Either way, it's always great to see the Big Two attempt to create new characters, even if it's technically "cheating" this time.   I hope Jason Aaron has some amazing stories to tell with Lady Thor, and that she kicks a ton of tail. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sage Spoils The Plot: Kamen Rider Decade

The New 52, Corrected: Justice Legion A