Fall Anime 2012 Picks

I haven't done one of these in awhile, and I apologize.  I've been going through some things and I was in a state that just didn't leave me with the desire to write.  At all.  But I'm back now (obviously), and with one of the hallmarks of this site.  First, have a link to the chart, and then we'll jump right into things.

Ixion Saga DT


What It's About: The game and anime follow Kon Hokaze, a boy who embarks on a journey from our world to an alternate world known as Mira, which is full a mysterious energy known as Alma. After saving Princess Ecarlate from attackers, he soon finds himself in the middle of a struggle around Alma. (MyAnimeList)

My Opinion
: I'm not sure why I keep falling for these high fantasy tales.  I love the visual trappings, but the stories are always rushed or lacklustre, with the notable exception of Sword Art Online.  I'm giving this a chance just in case it turns out to be good as well, but if I see anything like a harem or the main character is especially annoying, I'm ghost.



Magi





What It's About: This story is about the flow of fate and the battle to keep the world on the right path. Aladdin is a boy who has set out to explore the world after being trapped in a room for most of his life. His best friend is a flute with a djinn in it named Ugo. Soon enough, Aladdin discovers he is a Magi, a magician who chooses kings, and he was born to choose kings who will follow the righteous path, battling against those who want to destroy fate. Follow his adventures as he meets others from 1000 Arabian Nights, like Ali Baba and Sinbad, and fights to keep the balance of world in check! (MyAnimeList)

My Opinion: This is an area of historic fiction that anime has rarely touched.  What I find most intriguing about this series is that it's actually shonen, which can run the risk of feeling very slow, but since the manga has a fairly decent jump on the anime, it'll be some time before the series catches up so hopefully we can enjoy at least 50 or so episodes of fun storytelling set in an arabic-type fantasy world.

Robotics;Notes




What It's About: 2019, Divergence Ratio 1.048596. The near future, where a device popularly called the PokeCom, packaged with PhoneDroid OS, spreads, bringing the Augmented Reality world close to existence.

Chuuoutanegashima High School's Robot Research Club is in danger of losing its club status. Kaito Yashio, one of only two members, is only obsessed with robot fighting games, showing no interest in the Robo Club even in this situation. The reckless, useless club head, Akiho Senomiya, aims to complete a giant robot, struggling hard to avoid losing the club's status.

Then, one day, Kaito discovers the A.R. annotation that becomes the Kimishima Report. Written in that report is the indictment of someone named Kou Kimishima's conspiracy involving the world. (MAL)

My opinion: Something something "giant robots" something something "future world".  That's what I got from the description of the series and the video.  Despite how slow the PV looked in terms of action, I don't mind giving something character-driven a try for once.  It's by Production I.G., which normally has beautiful animation production so at the very least I'll be watching something pretty.  It's connected to those other semi-colon anime, but I have no idea how/if they're in-continuity with each other.

Chou Soku Henkei Gyrozetter



What It's About
: Anime adaptation of a card game which depicts battles between cars that transform into robots. (MAL)

My Opinion: I'm guessing it's exactly what it says on the tin, and that's all I need from it.  Looking forward to contacting my inner child while watching this.

 Monsuno



My Opinion: I was significantly more interested in this series when I thought the people transformed and had humanoid animal forms.  I'll give it a shot if someone subs it, but don't hold out much hope.  Looks like Beyblades, and I was never a fan.


Little Busters




What It's About: Riki was a child when his parents died, leaving him hopeless and depressed. What saved him was a group of four kids calling themselves the Little Busters. They took Riki out and played with him during his time of need. He really enjoyed being together with them, and his grief gradually faded away. Now in his second year of high school they still hang out, fight and live together, and enjoy their school life.  (Source: VNdb)

My Opinion: I'm giving this a chance because I need something that's not "shit blowing up" this season.  I'm also hoping an anime series can present me with a coherent romance series that features multiple couples.  This probably won't be it, but I'm still holding out that hope.


Code: Breaker



What It's About: Riding the bus one day, Sakurakouji Sakura looks out the window to see people being burned alive with a blue fire and a boy her age who's unharmed and standing over the people.

She comes back to the site the next day and there are no corpses or evidence of any kind of murder, just a small fire. She then goes to class to find there's a new transfer student, Oogami Rei, who looks exactly like the boy she saw before and wears a black glove only on his left hand.

Oogami is a Code Breaker, one who "does not exist". He is a seemingly cold-blooded killer who follows the principle of "an eye for an eye", to "use evil against evil". Convinced that killing is not right, Sakurakouji sets out to stop him and penetrate his icy heart.  (MAL)

My Opinion: ....Okay, I honestly cannot tell you how long I've been waiting to see this animated.  For a great deal of what I read of Code: Breaker, the poses the question: What if there was a group which killed evil people.  Not a personal definition of evil.   They only ever kill true scum bags: murderers, people who would beat the homeless for shits and giggles, rich people who harvest the organs of orphans so they can live on.  Where I was at, Rei had only slain these types of people, and it was *incredibly* difficult to take the side of the foil of the series, Sakurakouji.  I mean, sure she's for justice and not vengeance, and in a series where somebody was killing...I dunno, jaywalkers or something, I'd totally be on her side and wishing for Rei to get caught.  But Code: Breaker never took that easy route, and for that I can't wait to pick the series back up and see where it goes.  

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure




What It's About: Jonathan Joestar, a young wealthy son living in Victorian England, has his life destroyed by a recently orphaned Dio Brando, who was taken in by Jonathan's father. Dio, who plots to drive Jonathan to insanity and inherit the Joestar fortune, becomes an unstoppable vampire that Jonathan must fight.

My Opinion: One of the few great shonen series that I know nothing worth speaking of about, this series is finally getting an adaptation on television.  While I'm not so sure about the art, personally, I'm still looking forward to giving this series a chance.

Medaka Box Season 2



What It's About: When newly elected Student Council President Medaka Kurokami institutes her idea for a suggestion box where people can submit problems that need to be solved, she's expecting things like rescuing lost puppies and giving advice. What she and her best friend Zenkichi find instead, however, are the first hints of an unbelievable secret, and their school, Hakoniwa Academy, and Medaka herself are somehow at the very center of the growing maelstrom! As what seemed like an innocent past time turns into a dangerous game, Medaka and her recruits to the Student Council discover new depths to both themselves and their own unexpected abilities. And then things get really out of control. (Source: Sentai Filmworks)

My Opinion: You already know what it is with this series.  A student council/shonen parody fusion, Medaka Box had some weak moments last season, but by the end it was INSANE and well-worth watching.  I enjoyed every second of it, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the craziness that was episodes nine through twelve.

All-in-all, holy crap there are a lot of anime on the list this season.  While I'm wondering where Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin is, I suppose Sunrise is taking a break after AGE to get everything ready.  Even without it though we've got quite the season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sage Spoils The Plot: Kamen Rider Decade

The New 52, Corrected: Justice Legion A