Song of the Week - Childish Gambino - Black Faces

I keep trying to get this guy out of my mp3 player.   Mission failed, though.  I see so much of Kanye in this guy, it's ridiculous.  He started out as a beat-maker, then moved on to raps.  He's got a lot of ego to him, but his raps display a genuine honesty that you can feel in every line.  His album took him from "Who?" to "Oh, THAT nigga" pretty rapidly.  Because he's a different kind of rapper than what we're used to, a lot of old head cats and hipster fans trying to like everything "street" don't want to co-sign and give the dude the respect he's owed, but that hasn't stopped him from getting more and more popular.

At this point I'm just hoping he proves me wrong and goes in a different direction from Kanyeezy, one that still lets me respect him as an artist and doesn't let him become a parody of himself.   Anyway, this post isn't about me, it's about another dope song from my current favorite artist, Childish Gambino, featuring West Coast rapper Nipsey Hussle:







"Me and Nipsey on some grown shit, no rent
Own shit, no Jim Crow shit, black faces..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sage Spoils The Plot: Kamen Rider Decade

The New 52, Corrected: Justice Legion A