Fall Anime 2010 Picks



So it's that time of year again: Fall. Finally. For one, I'm REALLY tired of being hot all the freaking time. Being covered in sweat does not generally inspire one to do their best, academically. (On the other hand, I work rather well when I'm just slightly cold. I may be part penguin.)

Anyways, we're only a few weeks away from a new anime season. So here's that famous chart that tells us what shows we'll be worshipping, mocking, and being indifferent to for the next three months:




For my picks....


Iron Man:



What Is It: Marvel and Madhouse have teamed up to bring four of Marvel's biggest heroes to a Japanese audience.

Why I'm Interested: There's an overly long post on this blog somewhere detailing my dislike of the other two Iron Man cartoons, and I wrote it because Iron Man's my favorite Marvel superhero ever--my second favorite superhero period. An Iron Man anime is my fanboy dream. I'd prefer a more direct adaptation--my favorite superheroes adapted into ongoing anime using their best storylines as material for episodes. This isn't that. Hopefully though, it will be one of my favorite superheroes, stripped down to the base concept and made into a cartoon, only using the more mature/adult storytelling allowed in Japan. (I normally defend western cartoons, but Iron Man: Armored Adventures literally exists because execs thought kids would relate better to "teen Tony", so sometimes western sensibilities DO get in the way.)

Bakuman:


What Is It: Bakuman follows talented artist Moritaka Mashiro and aspiring writer Akito Takagi, 9th grade students who combine their skills to reach their dream - to become successful manga artists, and get an anime adaptation. Mashiro also promises the girl he loves that if their dreams come true, he will marry her.

Why I'm Interested: Meta stuff like this always gets me. Watching an anime about two characters trying to make a manga...just typing that made me happy. I'm betting on this becoming a hit out of the gate, but even if it doesn't I'm hoping it'll be one of my new favorites.


Otome Youkai Zakuro



What Is It: It's the Meiji Era in a slightly alternate Japan, and the Gregorian calendar has just come into effect. The fox-eared girls living in the youkai part of town are about to be put to work together with a delegation of young human soldiers, to promote interracial understanding. So what will happen when Zakuro's strong personality collides with human sensibilities? (MAL)
Why I'm Interested: You would think I would let go of these anime with kemonomimi (girls with animal ears); they're never (rarely) any good. That said, I like anime set in the Meiji Era, and if none of the main characters are tsundere, I should be able to enjoy myself.

Tantei Opera Milky Holmes


What Is It: The story takes place in an imaginary world in "the Age of Detectives", where private detectives and phantom thieves overwhelm the cities. It's about four girls who aim to be great detectives. (MAL)
Why I'm Interested: Truthfully, I grow tired of constant anime that are about cute girls being ineffective at stuff, but sometimes trying new series can be fun. Last time I watched a series like this, it was Koihime Musou, and that was loaded down with awesome. It IS my job to be optimistic, so I'll give this one a go.

Super Robot Taisen OG: The Inspector



What Is It: A new Super Robot Wars series. The Super Robot Wars franchise, for those unaware, is yet another "can only happen in Japan" video game, in which robots from classic mecha anime are thrown into one giant tactical RPG. This means Eva meets MSG meets SEED meets Dancouga meets Macross. Yeah. And OG games are ones in which all those series' mecha have been taken out and all that's left are the mecha created by the SRW series itself. This, would be an anime based on that concept.

Why I'm Interested: Personally, I have not had much use for the SRW franchise since the creation of the PS2. Super-deformed mecha were cool on the SNES and PSX, but systems with PS2+ level graphics deserve better. I realize many people disagree with me, but there's a reason why I want the ACE series to succeed this time. Given this is a series in which the characters and mechs will be fully-formed, I figure this is the best chance of SRW getting me involved in its universe.

That's it. Slim pickings, but I'm in college so no big deal. Iron Man and Bakuman I'm excited for, Milky Holmes has potential to be a sleeper hit if they play up the wackiness or even play the idea serious, and SRW just might be the first decent mecha since Macross Frontier.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sage Spoils The Plot: Kamen Rider Decade

The New 52, Corrected: Justice Legion A