College Life Part Two

Melodramatic "my path" stories aside, what's college life like? Good question.

I'm still not sure what to make of it myself. I'm doing the basic college stuff at the moment--Composition I, College Algebra, General Psychology, Modern Western World.

Its off-putting. The first day I was wandering around, not really sure where anything was, and I make it up to my classroom which I'm expeecting to be a giant auditorium...


...and its just me and 15-20 other people. Its like being a Senior in High School again. But then I leave there to get to College Algebra and there's that giant freaking auditorium room I was expecting.

Its interesting to be in a class room in which one could theoretically get NO face time with the teachers. Especially when you're like me, and sit in the back all the time.

I have two classes that are like that, although one (Psychology) encourages participation. Still, mostly these classes feel exactly like high school...

Until your teacher just lets fly a "I don't give a fuck about that" and then you remember, "Oh that's right. This is supposed to be a classroom of adults."

The biggest change I'm having to get used to from high school to college is that...everyone always wants to know what you think. High school was always a sort of, "Shut up and listen" kind of deal. Here the teachers push you to critically think and apply what they're teaching to your own life or to situations around you so that you actually get it.

For that reason, I have become more than a name on the roll sheet, since if you can't tell, when you ask me to share what I think...that's pretty much what you're going to get. (But I try to phrase my answer in the form of a joke, since my life is Comedy Jeopardy.)

Other things I'm trying to get the hang of:

- In a given day, I may run into one or two people I share more than one class with. Otherwise, they're all just random people who I'll see in this class but likely never again. (At least until I start taking classes for a major.)

- Teachers letting out early. "That's all I have to teach for today. You can go." ...Word? Like, as in LEAVE the class? The first time that happened, amusingly enough, was the first class on my first day. The class is only 50 minutes long...and I get to leave 10 minutes early? I didn't even ask questions--I thought she might change her mind.

- Having a Monday/Wednesday/Friday class...that only meets on Monday and Wednesday. One of the first things my College Algebra teacher mentioned was how she only taught on Mondays and Wednesdays and how on Fridays we not only did not have to show up...she wasn't even going to be there. I guess the intention was to get us into the Math Lab for homework/quizzes...but I do those early so for me its a free hour.

- So much free time. I attend school from 9-1, Mondays and Wednesdays, 9-12 every other day. The rest of the day is mine after homework. Its like, I'm actually able to do things now. (But I've gotten so used to NOT doing things that I rarely get anything done outside of HW.)

- People riding by on bikes on the way to class. Getting to each class CAN be a chore, but these bikes still throw me off. I'm actually sort of tired of them riding over the grass, leaving tire tracks like its BMX bike racing. Whenever I see dudes on bikes, I just feel like running at them and throwing my arm out at the last second to clothesline them right off it.

- You CAN get sick of Chick-Fil-A. I was previously not aware of this, but when you spend all day on campus and breakfast AND lunch consists of chicken...it gets kinda old. Thank God for Sbarro's.

- Finding a ride is a bitch. Its easy to learn to drive. Not so easy to get a car. So getting to and from school is a bit of a pain, but--whatever it takes, you know?

There's some other stuff in there somewhere, but I can't think of it this second. One thing I just remembered is that, apparently...you...don't need books. I spent $300+ on my books, and about half of them I've never even used. I can't describe how annoying that is, but, we all have to learn somehow.

I'm also somewhat irritated by the lack of hot college girls in my classes, but there's really not much I can do to fix that except enjoy the view on the way to my classes. *coughs, looks around*

Anyhow, that's my two for the day. I'm out. *Bunny Vanish*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sage Spoils The Plot: Kamen Rider Decade

The New 52, Corrected: Justice Legion A