Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Sonic fans have been moaning about how lame Sonic has been since, really, right after Sega folded out of the console war. Despite initial success with the Dreamcast's Sonic Adventure, the great majority of the games since then have been, well...they seem to be rather weak.

But hope has returned (for some) with the announcement of the Project Needlemouse, a new Sonic project. Sega had listened to fans, and were going back to basics. Hit the jump to see what that got us.




...Wow. So, nearly twenty years later, their response is to give us...the same crap we played when I was back in grade school.

Gamers everywhere are rejoicing. I'm lamenting how lazy we've gotten. Someone please bring back Shadow, and sword-wielding Sonic (actually...what game is that? I want it.), because that's better than this.

I'm not saying this won't be a good game. In fact, it'll probably be great. And if its what it appears to be, I KNOW people are going to swarm all over it. But...

Its the same problem Mega Man 9, and now 10, has. You're not trying. Real gutsy move. Give the fanboys what they want. Screw innovation--just go back to the old 2D ways. Its things like this that lead the Barry fans not to shut up for twenty years about bringing him back and taking the Flash title from Wally. And it worked! I'm not going to pretend like I'm not excited about Geoff Johns writing Flash, and I like Rebirth but I totally understand how Mark Waid feels, and steps backward like this just aren't healthy.

The problem, for Sonic, is that nobody cares. The same guy has been doing Mario for years, and each time they come out they're completely different but people LOVE them. Its like what Square tries with Final Fantasy. (Except it works.)

I don't know, I guess I just thought the idea of going back to 2D when you had three dimensions to work with was creatively bankrupt. But apparently I'm full of it, 'cause they're doing it and everyone's hyped.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sage Spoils The Plot: Kamen Rider Decade

The New 52, Corrected: Justice Legion A